Play dough is all the rage these days!
in case you hadn’t noticed
I double dog dare ya to surf Pinterest and not stumble on a play dough pin! But then, why would you want not to when play dough is the bestest?!
My (this is not a new idea and there are plenty of other similar ones out there but this was the first I’d seen) original inspiration for this project was Somewhat Simple’s Wacky Sacks. It was one of those “holy what a great play dough idea, batman!” moments! This project is SO easy that even the non-craftiest mommies out there (to which I am eternally bonded – we are sisters, kindred spirits, besties) can and should do it!
And just in time for Daddy’s Day too!
Play dough. I bought mine at the dollar store. Next year maybe I’ll be adventurous and add some scent-i-ness too.
Balloons. We already had these on hand.
Helpers. Because you’ll need help smooshing the play dough into those dang balloons! I happen to have three (even though Trevy is more mess – less help) running around here.
Roll the play dough into snakes. But not without your iPod by your side, of course. Because we all need Adele stuck in our heads for weeks on end. :: smile ::
Have one of your Helpers stretch the balloon out nice and wide.
Smoosh and squeeze play dough into stretched balloon.
We used one container of dough per balloon.
Bristel decided hers needed a face. She then proceeded to carry it with her everywhere! Named her Squeezie and proceeded to donate all her Barbie items to her new play dough pal. It is not uncommon around here lately, to trip on a Barbie bus being manned by Squeezie. With a bow in her hair (because that little balloon tied knot does kinda look like hair), no less.
Both of the (little) boys have a squeezie too. Toby calls his the thinking ball. Which lives in his workbox tote with his school work. For easy “thinking” access. Trevy’s survived for a 10 minutes (maybe) before being chewed apart. Sigh. We’ll have to figure something bite through proof for him because it really is great for sensory and fine motor input!
And for our “big” boy with a special day coming this weekend?
A Daddy play dough Stress Ball to help him survive without us while he’s off makin’ the bacon!
If you’re looking for a last minute Daddy’s Day gift, this could be your ticket!
For even more play dough inspirations…
- Check out these super cute play dough stress balls by Make Do and Friend
- Critters and Crayons (one of my besties, she just doesn’t know it yet :: wink ::) has this great easy peasy play dough recipe
- You’ve gotta check out the googly eyed play dough monster by Mama Smiles – too cute!
- You’ll smell the yumminess with The Chocolate Muffin Tree’s microwave kool aid play dough.
- I know a certain little girl that would love this play dough imaginative tea party by No Twiddle Taddle.
- JDaniel4’s Mom has a great OT hole punching play dough activity. I’ll definitely be doing this one with Trevy!
- Who wouldn’t love a play dough garden like famiglia&seoul created.
- Being a beach bum myself, I adored Creative Playhouse’s sand play dough idea.
- Word Play House has homemade play dough + a handmade gift + printable that you don’t want to miss!
- How fun would glitter play dough be? Red Ted Art has a post about how to make your own!
- Imagination Tree has a must read post about the benefits of playing with play-dough plus some great ideas of nifty things to add to your squeezy stuff!
- How about using play dough to explore emotions? Your Therapy Source is offering a free clay (or play dough) emotions printable!