This project was inspired by a recent thread on one of the various forums I belong to. Like a good homeschool mommy…I took the idea and stirred in a bit of my own flavor.
I printed all my templates here.
I looooove when someone else does the work for me! The only issue I ran into was the mystery of the missing “W”. It’s an easy-ish fix if you just print an extra template sheet with the pieces needed to make W.
I then cut the templates out and glued them onto bright colored card stock. I just used the materials I had on hand. But I really like how the contrast pops.
For extra sensory input I used felt (again…something I had on hand) for my puzzle pieces. I really want to make sandpaper pieces too.
I like to have pieces in a ziplock bag for two reasons…
1 – keep things neat
2 – it’s a great fine motor activity
I was going to be lazy and not laminate.
However, Trevy blowing slobbery raspberries right off the bat convinced me otherwise. That’s his non-verbal-ish cue that he’s either bored or it’s too hard.
It’s for the best, I’m sure. Because already the 1st Grader is using them too!
The whole project took me about 2 hours from start to finish. Only possible, of course, with the hubster’s babysitting help!
be sure to check out
for some other super cute Montessori-ish ideas!